Sunday, January 11, 2009

Insomnia

Ever since I was a kid, I have had trouble falling asleep. I generally don't have trouble staying asleep once I'm there. In fact, I have trouble waking up...but that's another story.
As a kid, I would dream up all these wild scenarios I would act out in my room until I could fall asleep (my parents sent me to bed at 7:30 every night which didn't help). As an adult, the 20-30 minutes average I spend each night thinking about how I'm going to fall asleep are not as fun...I am mostly resentful for a few reasons: my husband falls asleep in literally 20 seconds; I have to get up early for work; I know I'm going to be tired, etc.
I will periodically take Benadryl (helps my allergies also) and on a rare occasion will take Ambien. To take Ambien, you have to have a full 8 hours to devote to sleep. The trouble is, by the time you realize you can't sleep, you have WAY less than 8 hours left until you have to get up. So I usually have to have been sleep deprived for a few days, and plan it all out before I can take that medication. Probably a good thing...
The bad news tonight: I took a nap today. I'm screwed.

No comments: