Monday, January 26, 2009

Ahhh...the Coat

The other day my friend Jill and I went to a sort-of-secret store. My Overstock Boutique opens to the public only once a month, and is located in a warehouse in Mebane. It has racks and racks of high quality designer clothes on consignment from various boutiques. These are genuinely high end clothes that are exceedingly expensive at full price.

The deal is this: everything is at least 50% off, many items with much deeper discounts. Some items were just a mere $10. It is truly a warehouse, with makeshift dressing areas and an open back area without heat.

We had barely gotten there, learned the "rules of shopping" and I saw it. A beautiful, charcoal belted coat with front pockets made by Theory. It was made of virgin wool, angora and cashmere. Ahhhh. It was the softest coat (other than the fur coats worn by elder members of my family when I was a child) I had ever felt. It was also still quite expensive.

After we had looked through the whole store and I only had a handful of things to try on, I took it into the dressing room to just try it at the urging of Jill. So I did. Wow. It was perfect. Gorgeous, smart, sharp, slimming, and warm and comfortable to boot. It is the kind of garment that makes you want to go to New York because you feel so hip.

I made a decision that I would only buy it if they could cut the price in half again (25% of the original price). The owner did it with a smile on her face. Ahhhh. It's mine. I will have it forever and a day (unless I wear holes it in from just touching it so much). New York anyone?

2 comments:

jeepmama said...

I'm going to NY in May, wanna ride?? :)

Jane Elizabeth said...

You bet! But it may be too warm for the coat then...