Monday, November 17, 2008

Separation of Church and State

I recently heard that a Roman Catholic parish priest in Greenville, South Carolina has been denying holy communion to any parishioners that voted for Barack Obama.
As a non Roman Catholic christian I find this terribly offensive and I dare say, even unchristian. My interpretation of Christianity includes, amongst other things, welcoming everyone to the table. This would include people of all age, race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation and political beliefs. As some might say "we are all God's children". Apparently, that doesn't ring true if you're a parishioner at St. Mary's Catholic Church.
Of course it doesn't surprise me terribly because only Roman Catholics (as opposed to all baptized Christians) are welcome at the communion rail in any Roman Catholic church. I always found that odd and exclusionary, as Roman Catholics are welcome to our communion rail. Sigh.

1 comment:

jeepmama said...

very interesting!! I don't remember a commandment starting with "Thou shalt vote..."

And I know several RC's who supported Obama.

Hmmmmm....