Thursday, November 6, 2008

Election Post Mortem


Love that phrase...post mortem because it really refers to autopsies, which I always found fascinating during that phase of my education. I really don't intend to dissect the election or results, but I think this event had a profound effect on many of us, especially in North Carolina, and my interactions with family, friends and clients were quite interesting.

My thoughts are this: we live in a country where we all have the right to vote, and the right to vote for (I almost said "choose" but that wouldn't be correct) whichever candidate is the one each one of us wants.

There are many of my friends who are strongly on one side of the fence or another, and I admire their ability to take a stand. My personal feeling, though, is that everyone is entitled to whatever choice they want, and I'm not going to be offended if they have different political views than I. It almost keeps me on my toes, forces me to examine why I made the choice I made.

It's the same feeling I currently have about religion. Believe what you want. Whatever you choose is right for you, and I won't be offended if you have a different god/savior/greater being than I. There is not just one "truth".

I would make a terrible evangelist.

1 comment:

jeepmama said...

Have to disagree with the last comment (or next to last, i guess) in that by definition there is only one truth. Take the bare-bones basic, God vs. no God. They can't both be true as they are opposites. One has to be wrong.

The problem lies in that we don't *know* in scientific definitions which one it is. Which, of course, is where faith comes in...and that is a whole other can o' worms...