Monday, October 6, 2008

There's always next year...


Well, another year of baseball has come to a close for Cubs fans. Sadly, it didn't end in the way we wanted it to. It never does. Never.

Living with disappointment is something our group learns to accept. This year was almost as painful as the five outs away from going to the World Series/fan (who I will not further name because I really feel sorry for that guy) interferes with catching the ball year, 2003. Billed as the best team in both the National and American Leagues this year, the Cubs were predicted to win the World Series. They didn't even win a game in the National League Division Series. At least we didn't get our hopes up for too awfully long this postseason.

We used to identify with Red Sox fans, but no longer. They seem to have won a few World Series in recent years and thus have broken their curse.

Our curse, The Curse of the Billy Goat, began in 1945, the last year that the Cubs went to the World Series. they ejected Billy Goat Tavern owner Billy Sianis and his pet goat (pictured above) from Wrigley Field due to fans complaining about the odor. He stated at that time there would never be another World Series at Wrigley Field. The last time the Cubs won the World Series was 1908. One hundred years ago. *Sigh*

I have been alive for 40 years (yes, I admit it, I am 40) and have been waiting my whole life for the Cubs to win the World Series, or at least go to the WS. I really feel sad for my Dad. He's 79 and he's been waiting his whole life for a Cubs WS win. I hope he gets to see one in his lifetime. I hope I get to see one in my lifetime.

No comments: