Sunday, October 19, 2008

My First Day at the Races....


Ok, so many of you might I'm referring to horse racing, but alas, it's auto racing. Not typically my scene, but I have to say it was really interesting.

I was visiting my friends Colleen & Adam and Beth in the Bay Area this weekend. Coincidentally, my friend Donnie Barnes (a racecar driver) was racing this weekend at Laguna-Seca in Monterey. Colleen and I were invited to witness this great event...all I can say is Wow.

We were very fortunate to be able to stay at my friend, mentor and former boss Judi's beach house in Santa Cruz. Ahhh...so soothing and wonderful to be staying on the ocean. We saw dolphins and a whale today (but I digress-- thank you Judi & Jay)

The race was the Mazda Mx5 Championship (I think) and was a 45 minute race with a field of 30 racers. We were able to see the cars and drivers in the paddock before the race, and then Ashley (Donnie's wife), Colleen, Hilary, Scott and I went to the grandstand to watch the start. OK, so Ashley was a cool as a cucumber (she's watched a lot of NASCAR) but Colleen and I (being new to the racing thing) were a little on the nervous side. Glad we didn't see the "metal to metal" contact that happen. We were happy that everyone was safe and sound at the end. Donnie did really well, moved up to 12th from 19th position at the start. Unfortunately, due to certain penalties...they bumped him back to 13th. I'm sure he'll eventually explain on his blog if you want to know the details.

On the way back from the race we visited everyone's favorite fast food place, In-N-Out Burger. While I won't say if I actually consumed dead cow, but it was fun none the less.

Colleen and I resisted the urge at the track to buy a sweatshirt that said "Race Chick" but Colleen is starting a new fashion trend by wearing Piloti racing shoes. Such a fashion diva, that Colleen.

All in all a fun day at the races. You never know, I might even be hooked...



For those of you that may not understand (Colleen), below is a video. Just push the arrow button and watch the action!

No comments: