Friday, February 25, 2011

The Power of Being a Mom

Last night my youngest just couldn't sleep. Let me just say that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, so I do have some sympathy for her. She's never been a good sleeper from day one, but now that she's 9, it's not too often that we have trouble.
It seems that allergies have kicked in, and she has a tickle in her throat that causes her all sorts of grief. She would come into our room, crying because she couldn't sleep, begging me to lay with her. Realizing that things would go nowhere fast if I didn't, I tried to placate her by laying next to her for a while. Of course we, as parents, have all played this game. It only works when you are there, and as soon as you leave, sleep is again elusive. There were a few rounds of this last night.
As I weighed this, I realized, why not sleep there all night? She and I may never get to sleep otherwise, and she's got a comfortable queen sized bed. So I packed up my cell phone/alarm, water and pillow and moved in. And you know what? The moment, and I mean the MOMENT I got settled, she was instantly asleep. I guess when she realized I was there to stay, she finally relaxed. That, I say, is the power of being a mom.

1 comment:

Angie said...

I need a "like" button for this... :)