Tuesday, July 21, 2009

So here's a thought...

A few years back, I did a television gig in New York. During the prep in the wee hours of the morning, a professional makeup artist was applying my makeup. She was amazing, she camouflaged my deep set eyes and made my skin look flawless. She truly was an artist. When I asked her if she had always wanted to do this, she told me when she was 5 years old she used to steal her mother's makeup and bury it in the back yard so she could play with it later.

That started me thinking about my childhood, and I recalled practicing surgery on my stuffed animals at age 6, often pretending I just completed a grueling 6 hour operation on the lucky (to have me) creature (OK, so I admit the operations were not on their feet but who could guess that?). My friend down the street, Nancy, used to organize kickball, soccer and ghost in the graveyard games for the whole neighborhood. She is now a very enthusiastic recreational therapist.

I therefore started wondering, what are my kids doing now that might be a window to their future? My oldest plays with animal figures all the time, coming up with different adventures. There were never dolls, only animals with her. She used to say she wanted to be a veterinarian, but now she says zoologist. Interesting.

As for my younger daughter, I'm very curious as to how this will turn out because of an incident at school last semester. A few of my friends let me know their kids were asking for money because my daughter was selling things at school: lollipops, pencils, erasers, etc. She often participates in bake sales (items baked by the older one who apparently is going to not only be an animal expert but baker and bartender one day too) and makes some significant cash for a kid. Sales? Perhaps. We nipped the selling in school in the bud, of course...and she was asked to stop at her afterschool program...

Some people love her entrepreneurial spirit. I personally do, but also wonder about how much she pushes the envelope. Time will tell, of course. Check back with me in about 15 years and I'll clue you in as to just how close I was.

No comments: